Search This Blog

About Bronzewing Birding Services

My photo
North East, Victoria, Australia
Blog of Bronzewing Birding Services, which provides news and updates on birdwatching in North East Victoria. For more information go to the website at: http://www.bronzewingbirdingservices.com

Monday, March 29, 2010

Barn Owls

For the last month or so around Wilby (where I live) I have been hearing the call of Barn Owls almost every night. During some early morning trips into Yarrawonga when it has still been dark, I have seen up to 5 birds perched along fence posts along the Yarrawonga-Wilby Road. I suspect there are many about at the moment because there are so many mice for them to prey on. After over 80mm of rain early in March mice numbers around the district have exploded, especially in the wheat stubble around the town. I have even heard to birds calling as I am lying in bed just before going to sleep. A Southern Boobook has been heard calling a couple of nights as well, probably taking advanta of the mice as well. Follow the link below to hear what a Barn Owl sounds like.

No comments:

Post a Comment