Search This Blog

About Bronzewing Birding Services

My photo
North East, Victoria, Australia
Blog of Bronzewing Birding Services, which provides news and updates on birdwatching in North East Victoria. For more information go to the website at: http://www.bronzewingbirdingservices.com

Friday, January 14, 2011

Western Treatment Plant, Werribee

I was visiting family in Melbourne and could not pass an opportunity to visit the Western Treatment Plant. There have been great sightings of late, Stilt Sandpiper, Ruff, Long-toed Stint, birds people generally only dream about seeing.

Unfortunately I choose a bad day to visit. There had been over 50mm of rain the night and day before and many of the ponds (around T-section and western lagoons) that these waders have been seen on were full. Part of the plant were closed as well so I couldn't even get into some areas. However I could still manage to see the western lagoons and a large flooded paddock nearby (below).

These ponds were quite flooded after recent rains.

The flooded paddock where I saw the Ruff and a Pectoral Sandpiper.

I spent around 4 hours looking for the Stilt Sandpiper in particular, but could not manage to see it. Consolations however were two Pectoral Sandpipers and a Ruff. Also many terns, Caspian, White-winged Black, Little, Common and Whiskered. Not birds I see that often in North East Victoria. There were many waders as well as expected (below).

Red-necked Stint and Curlew Sandpiper.

Red-necked Stint, many were orange flagged.

70+ species for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment